Leadership can sometimes feel counter-intuitive. It requires a balance between putting your efforts into tasks you can accomplish on your own, and enabling the efforts of those you lead.
Enter: The strategic responsibilities of the leader.
When stressed, many pull back to the projects or tasks they can personally control and have impact on. However, nowhere do leaders have a greater impact than when they conduct the activities that enable the efforts of the whole team. These include:
• Making decisions about how to reposition for the future
• Prioritizing where to focus effort
• Choices about when to start AND stop effort in a certain direction
• Solving difficult problems others don’t want to touch
• Helping employees understand future and current direction
• Enabling other leaders to become greater
The impact you have individually can be great. The impact you can have through proficient leadership is exponential.