One of my favourite questions in business planning is simply “What would it take to double the amount of value you create?”
I like it because it:
1) Gets people’s attention – what might this mean?
2) Helps cut through the fluff of what is really important – what value do you create that is most meaningful?
3) Shuts down incremental improvement thinking – more of the same equals missing opportunities
4) Shifts the focus to transformational options – bigger options exist, always
5) Makes people question whether this goal is possible – this is the point of planning
Planning to change the world doesn’t take any more time than planning to be run of the mill or even to slip into a decline. It just requires more leadership and vision.